Project Request Date: 2/13/2018
Project Requested By: Erika Janes for the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (HANDS)
Principle Investigator: Paul Ross
- Information was requested on fatalities for a five year period for two age groups, birth to one and one to four.
- The five year period of data used spans from 2012 – 2016.
- In addition to fatalities for this time period (50), we also highlight the number of fatal crashes (46) to show that there were crashes with more than one fatality in the defined age group and time.
- In addition to fatalities we also provide information about the type (if any) of restraint used as this information may be valuable.
- It was noted that the HANDS staff check the knowledge of proper use of child safety seats during their in-home visits. We were able to tie fatalities to the use of these and other types of restraints including two fatalities involving an Air Bag. It should be noted that NHTSA recommends that children under 13 should sit in the back seat.
- After initial discussion, the age range was extended to birth through age 10.
- KTC helped to clarify the data where in some circumstances it appeared ambiguous.
[table “ChildFatal” not found /]